Ranking your website in Google is a process that has completely changed over the last ten years. A few years ago, it was common practice to use “black hat” techniques like spamming your backlinks on hundreds of domains to rank for high-competition keywords. Ranking on the first page in Google was quite honestly like taking candy from a baby.
Over the years Google has evolved and come out with some huge changes to their search engine algorithm. Google is increasingly focusing on quality and is taking huge steps to ensure that spammy domains and people who employ black-hat techniques don’t ever see themselves on the first page.
With that being said, there are many strategies you can employ to improve your search engine rankings today. If you want to be in a good position in Google, it is essential that you employ white-hat link building tactics.
White-hat SEO is a strategy of link building that includes building your brand reputation, creating amazing content and building relationships with influencers in your industry.
Here are five SEO tips you can implement to improve your search engine rankings:
- Create amazing content – Google is putting more weight on user experience, when it comes to ranking. There are now a variety of Google ranking factors that need to be taken into account. This means putting more of an emphasis on creating amazing content. You should be focusing on creating content so damn good, that people can’t resist sharing it with the people they know. This is the essence of what white-hate SEO is all about. Creating linkable assets that will naturally earn links and votes for your website.
- Pick your nice and stick with it – The last thing you want to do is build a website that offers generic advice. For starters it’ll be extremely hard to compete because you’ve got big companies with huge budgets that are focused on these generic topics. Secondly, you don’t want to be a generalist. Nobody celebrates the generalist. This applies not only to blogging and online business but in all walks of life. Become a specialist in one field. Pick your specific niche. Preferably something that you have genuine interest in (because you’ll never beat someone who is passionate about what they do) and master that one topics. Become the king of your mountain and people will look up to your as an authority in your chosen niche.
- Research your keywords – Before you write an article, research the keywords that you want to target. Some bloggers write their content then try and stuff keywords into the article afterwards to rank for terms in Google. This is one of the worst thing you can do so don’t do it. Instead, you should spend time carefully planning the content you want to create, research the keywords you’re looking to rank for, find out what the competition is like and if it’s worth trying to rank for those keywords. Some keywords have insane competition from big players so it’s definitely worth you doing your research first.
- SEO Friends URL’s – This is one of the easiest things to implement on your website. It literally takes two minutes and it can have a huge impact on your rankings. Google looks at your URL to see what your post is all about. You should set your default permalink to be your post name. You can modify each post to suit the keywords that you’re targeting. The key takeaway is to make sure your target keyword is present in your URL.
- Build internal links – On-page SEO is something that many people neglect in their search marketing efforts. Internal links are a fantastic way for you to pass link juice and authority to other pages on your website. Most sites have uneven link juice distribution as the majority of sites have most of their links pointing to their homepage. Look to create a structure around your webpages that interlinks your content through a web of hyperlinks. This will also help increase the visits you get to other pages on your website. Pages that might not get a lot of organic traffic, in particular.